Sunday 15 February 2009

Trying on clothes online – As good as in a shop?


When I discussed the idea of shopping for clothes online in my post from 15 January (http://bloggettaveneta.blogspot.com/2009/01/asos-magazine.html), many people commented that they think it is not a good experience because you cannot try on the clothes as you do in a shop’s fitting room.

Well, this argument is not a strong one anymore. With the online tool provided by My Virtual Model (www.mvm.com), you can try on clothes online in your own avatar! It works like this: you upload your info such as type of face, body shape, height, weight, bust size and waist for women (it works for men with slightly different info). You can even upload your own picture of your face, and put different backgrounds to see for example how the outfit would look with you on the beach… The service is currently provided in the US to some brands such as H&M, Sears, Land’s End and Speedo.

One potential problem that I found when asked for some female friends to try the service is that women can tend to be a bit optimistic about their virtual model’s body… This can lead to some problems of tight clothes when they are delivered, and they will claim the guilt is with the online tool… On my side, I found my virtual model a bit weird, and the clothes not that realistic… I don’t know if I would try the tool.

The ones who have tried it before please share your experience. The ones who thought this was the main problem about buying online please tell what you think of the tool. And don’t mention about the texture feeling and the scent of the clothes, I’m pretty sure that soon you will be able to feel it online as well…